PDA

View Full Version : Yahama stagepass 300 as dj speakers?

djAj90
12-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Are the yahama stagepass 300 good speakers for small dj gigs? I already have the set for non dj use,and need to know if they would be good for dj use,so I can save money on getting dj speakers if I dont have to. The only problem is that I dont like the amp that comes with it. Is there any way of getting a slim amp,that I connect my output from my mixer into and then connect the output on the amp to the speakers?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/yamaha-stagepas-300-portable-pa-system

windspeed36
12-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Depends, what's your aim? (crowd, music type)

djAj90
12-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Crowdsize would be around 75-100 at most,and it will be electro pop and eurodance music.

ampnation
12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
What is it about the amp you don't like? Is the sound quality? If so, could it be the speakers' sound quality you're not digging so much instead? or in addition to?

There's no reason you couldn't use a different amp, but I doubt you'll get too much improvement that way. You're better off getting a pair of good speakers and a subwoofer. As a portable PA system, the StagePas is not bad but it isn't designed for high output and probably isn't as good as even their 8" powered speakers, the DXR8. The DXR8 definitely gets louder. I'd venture the DXR8 gets louder than any 8" powered speaker anywhere close to its price range. You would probably want at least a 10" model though. Their entire line of tops consists of 8, 10, 12 and 15 inch models. If you can't get a subwoofer, the DXR15's are rumored to be excellent full range speakers. However, again depending on what you're trying to do, they have their DXS subwoofers in 12" and 15" models and if you want a full 18" you can get their DSR118W.

I know any and all of that is a lot of money compared to even what the StagePas cost new and obviously if you sold the StagePas, you'd take a hit, but these are the facts. Good PA isn't cheap.

Now if you still want to run a separate amp to the Stage Pas, bypassing the powered mixer module, you can.
Note the speakers are 6 ohm speakers which is a little odd. You won't generally find 6 ohm specs on amps so you would have to kinda guess by extrapolating between 8 ohm and 4 ohm specs on the amp. They're rated at 100w per speaker @ 6 ohms, with 1% thd (a lot) tested with a 1kHz signal (not very demanding vs. a 20hz-20khz signal) So you probably want to match the 100w and not use a 150w amp like they're using. Their 150w amp probably has tuned limiters for that cab which help prevent damage and you won't be able to match that level of protection. In pro audio, 100w per channel isn't much and most of the amps that put that level out aren't the cheapest on a per watt basis. The EV PA4150L is a 4 channel amp that puts out 100w @ 8 ohms (so a little more at 6 ohms) and costs over $700. The Crown D75A is underpowered for those speakers and runs $500-600. By comparison, a QSC GX3 puts out 300w @ 8 ohms and costs $300. From about the 200-300w range prices go up as wattage increases, but under that, there is very little demand and it is typically for more specialized applications which is why they are more expensive.

You could get something like a GX3 AND a good loudspeaker management unit (aka DSP) like the dbx DriveRack series to add limiting and just watch your levels real close, but that isn't great protection compared to what is built into powered speakers and probably built into the StagePas powered mixer.

Now here's the good news. If you can't afford a pair of DXR15, you can still get a pretty good PA system for about $6-800. A B52 Matrix 1000 v2 has 10" passive tops and a powered subwoofer with amps built into the sub for the tops. It's a much larger all-in-one PA than the StagePas, sounds pretty good, is pretty reliable, and blows away the StagePas in output. $800 is the retail price which could get discounted if you call around and they're not a bad used by in the $600+ range, or under if you're lucky. And that my friend is about as cheap a DJ PA system as I recommend. The only reason to go with another option in the same price range is if you can't transport that big of a unit.

EDIT: I would like to add, I keep forgetting, the Matrix has a competitor in the form of the Peavey Triflex II system now. It's newer to market and just a tad more expensive but with a similar design and it doesn't have carpet (aka rat fur) like the Matrix, but the more professional, IMO, duraflex type coating which resembles spray on truck bed liner.

djAj90
12-20-2012, 08:49 PM
The problem is that its to thick,and that it only has Hi and Low EQ but not Mid.

ampnation
12-21-2012, 12:28 AM
You shouldn't be using that powered mixer for DJ mixing purposes so the 2 band EQ vs. 3 band shouldn't be an issue. You can connect your DJ mixer's master outputs into that mixer's inputs. Or if you aren't DJ'ing and you want more EQ control, get a separate EQ. However, all that aside, for 75-100 people I don't think that unit is powerful enough, especially without a subwoofer unless you are playing for background music or something approaching that use.

Bill Fitzmaurice
12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Are the yahama stagepass 300 good speakers for small dj gigs? Why don't you try them and find out for yourself? Along with subs to handle the low end they'd probably be fine.

djAj90
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Ill be trying them out in about a month to see how loud they are without red lining,its been a while since I've used them so I dont remember how loud they are in a small area.

akela
01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
I am with Bill. I have a Stagepas 500, not a 300 mind you. Coupled to a subwoofer, they work and have used them for parties with no issues.